Hauora and SPICES are similar with both recognising the different elements of a person’s well-being and development.
Hauora is a Mˉaori philosophy of health unique to Aotearoa. Te Whare Tapa Whˉa is a model of health and well-being created by Sir Mason Durie consisting of four components of a whare with a foundation of Ta Ao Tˉuroa Environment embracing the Mˉaori world view:
- Taha tinana: Physical well-being
- Taha hinengaro: Mental and emotional well-being
- Taha whˉanau: Social well-being
- Taha wairua: Spiritual well-being
- Te Ao Tˉuroa: Environment